Database Systems Laboratory Publications
- R. Mian, P. Martin, F. Zulkernine and J.L. Vazquez-Poletti, "Estimating Costs of Data-intensive Workload Execution in Public Clouds", Proc. 10th International Workshop on Middleware for Grids, Clouds and e-Science in conjunction with ACM/IFIP/USENIX 13th International Middleware Conference 2012, ACM, 2012.
- Khalid Elgazzar, Hossam S. Hassanein, Patrick Martin, “Towards Personal Mobile Web Services,” (to appear in), The 2013 IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference (WCNC), Shanghai, China, 7-10 April, 2013.
- Turki Alharkan and Patrick Martin, IDSaaS: Intrusion Detection System as a Service in Public Clouds, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Cloud Computing, GRIDs, and Virtualization (Cloud Computing 2012), Nice, France, 2012.
- Mingyi Zhang, Baoning Niu, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, and Paul Bird. “Utility Functions in Autonomic Workload Management for DBMSs”. In International Journal on Advances in Intelligent Systems. Vol. 5, No. 1&2, July 2012.
- Xianrong Zheng, Patrick Martin and Kathryn Brohman, Cloud Service Negotiation: Concession vs. Tradeoff Approaches. Proceedings of the 12th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2012), May 13-16, 2012, Ottawa, Canada, 2012, pp. 515-522.
- Rizwan Mian, Executing Data-Intensive Workloads in a Cloud. Proceedings of the 12th IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing (CCGrid 2012), May 13-16, 2012, Ottawa, Canada, 2012, pp. 758-763.
- Mian, R., P. Martin and J. L. Vazquez-Poletti (2012). Provisioning data analytic workloads in a cloud. Future Generation Computer Systems(0): in press.
- Mingyi Zhang, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, Paul Bird, and Keith McDonald, Discovering Indicators for Congestion in DBMSs, In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Self-Managing Database Systems (SMDB’12) in Conjunction with the International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE’12), April 2012, Washington, DC, USA.
- Farhana H. Zulkernine, P. Martin, W. Powley, S. Soltani, S. Mankovskii and M. Addleman, 2012. Towards a Training-Oriented Adaptive Decision Guidance and Support System. In proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE) workshop on Data-Driven Decision Guidance and Support Systems (DGSS), Washington D.C., USA.
- Khalid Elgazzar, Muhammad AboElFotoh, Patrick Martin, and Hossam S. Hassanein, "Ubiquitous Health Monitoring Using Mobile Web Services", Proceedings of The 3rd International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies (ANT-2012), August 27-29, 2012, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada.
- N. Gruska, W. Powley, P. Martin, P. Bird and K. McDonald. Sort-Aware Query Scheduling in Database Management Systems. Proc of 2012 Conf of the Centre for Advanced Studies on Collaborative Research (CASCON 2012), Markham, ON, November 2012.
- R. Mian, Managing Data-Intensive Workloads in a Cloud (Ph.D. Depth Paper), Technical Report#: 2011-581, P. Martin, School of Computing, Queen's University, 2011.
- R. Mian, P. Martin, A. Brown, M. Zhang, Managing Data-Intensive Workloads in a Cloud, in: G. Aloisio, S. Fiore (Eds.) Grid and Cloud Database Management, Springer, Heidelberg, 2011.
- Patrick Martin, Mingyi Zhang, Wendy Powley, Harley Boughton, Paul Bird, Randy Horman, “The use of economic models to capture importance policy for autonomic database management systems”. In Proc. of the 8th Intl. Conf. on Autonomic Computing (ICAC’11) workshops (Autonomic Computing in Economics), June 14-18, 2011, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- Khalid Elgazzar, Patrick Martin, Hossam Hassanein, A Framework for Efficient Web Services Provisioning in Mobile Environments, to appear in The 3rd International Conference on Mobile Computing, Applications, and Services (MobiCASE 2011), Los Angeles, CA, 24-27 October, 2011.
- Khalid Elgazzar, Hossam Hassanein, Patrick Martin, Effective Web Service Discovery in Mobile Environments, to appear in The 7th IEEE International Workshop on Performance and Management of Wireless and Mobile Networks, Bonn, Germany, 4-7 October, 2011.
- Patrick Martin, Andrew Brown, Wendy Powley, Jose Luis Vazquez-Poletti, Autonomic Management of Elastic Services in the Cloud. Workshop on Management of Cloud Systems (MoCS 2011), June 28, 2011, Kerkyra (Corfu) Greece, pp 135-140.
- Mingyi Zhang, Baoning Niu, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, Paul Bird, Keith McDonald. Utility Function-based Workload Management for DBMSs, Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems (ICAS 2011), May 22-27, 2011, Mestre, Italy,pp. 116-121 (Best Paper Award).
- Khalid Elgazzar, Ahmed E. Hassan, Patrick Martin, Clustering WSDL Documents to Bootstrap the Discovery of Web Services, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Web Services (ICWS'10), Miami, Florida, USA, July 2010.
- Khalid Elgazzar, Mohamed Salah, Abd-Elhamid M. Taha, Hossam Hassanein, Comparing Uplink Schedulers for LTE, Proceedings of the 6th International Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing Conference, Caen, France, June 2010. (Awarded best paper).
- Xianrong Zheng, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley and Kathryn Brohman, Applying Bargaining Game Theory to Web Services Negotiation, Proceedings of the 7th IEEE 2010 International Conference on Services Computing (SCC’10), July 5-10, 2010, Miami, Florida, USA.
- Wendy Powley, Patrick Martin, Mingyi Zhang, Paul Bird, Keith McDonald. Autonomic Workload Execution Control Using Throttling, Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Self-Managing Database Systems (SMDB 2010) in Conjunction with the 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2010), March 1-6, 2010, Long Beach, USA.
- Samir Mohammad & Patrick Martin, Index Structures for XML Databases. In Changqing Li, Tok Wang Ling (Eds), Advanced Applications and Structures in XML Processing: Label Streams, Semantics Utilization and Data Query Technologies, IGI Global, 2010.
- Samir Mohammad & Patrick Martin, LTIX: A Compact Level-based Tree to Index XML Databases. Technical Report 2010-570, School of Computing, Queen's University, May 2010.
- Samir Mohammad & Patrick Martin, LTIX: A Cmopact Level-based Tree to Index XML Databases. In Proceedings of International database Engineering and Applications Symposium , IDEAS 2010, Montreal, Canada, August 2010.
- Samir Mohammad & Patrick Martin, LLS: Level-based Labeling Scheme for XML Databases. In Proceedings of CASCON 2010, Toronto, Canada, Nov 2010.
- Samir Mohammad & Patrick Martin, Relational Universal Index Structure for Evaluating XML Twig Queries, Technical Report 2010-576, School of Computing, Queen's University, May 2010.
- H. Abdulsalam, D. Skillicorn, and P. Martin, Classification Using Streaming Random Forests. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Feb, 2010.
- Martin, P., Matheson, M., Lo, J., Ng, J., Tan, D., and Thomson, B. (2010) Supporting Smart Interactions with Predictive Analytics. SITCON: the CAS/NSERC strategic workshop in smart internet technologies. Ontario, Canada.
- Zulkernine, F., and Martin, P, 2010. "An Adaptive and Intelligent SLA Negotiation System for Web Services". IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, Vol 4(1), pp. 31-43, IEEE.
- Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, Imad Abdallah, Jun Li, Andrew Brown, Kirk Wilson and Chris Craddock, A Model for Dynamic and Adaptable Services Management. Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems, SEAMS 2009, Vancouver, BC, May 18-19, 2009.
- Li, J.; Martin, P.; Powley, W.; Wilson, K.; Craddock, C., A Sensor-Based Approach to Symptom Recognition for Autonomic Systems, Fifth International Conference on Autonomic and Autonomous Systems, 2009. ICAS '09. 20-25 April 2009, pp. 45 - 50.
- Zulkerine, F. and Martin, P., 2009. Web Services Management: Towards Efficient Web Data Access, (Eds.) Kelly, G., Selected Readings on Information Technology Management: Contemporary Issues, Information Science Reference, IGI Global, PA, USA, pp. 404 - 423.
- Baoning Niu, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley. Towards Autonomic Workload Management in DBMSs, Journal of Database Management, 20(3), July - Sept 2009, pp. 1-17.
- J. Zebedee, P. Martin, K. Wilson and W. Powley, An Adaptable Content Management Framework for Pervasive Computing. In Context-Aware Mobile and Ubiquitous Computing for Enhanced Usability: Adaptive Technologies and Applications (Ed. Dragan Stojanovic), Idea Group Inc, (IGI), 2009, pages 114-146.
- Samir Mohammed & Patrick Martin, XML Structured Indexes. Technical Report 2009-560, School of Computing, Queen's University, June 2009.
- BROHMAN, M., PICCOLI, G., MARTIN, P., ZULKERNINE, F., PARASURAMAN, A., WATSON, R., 2009. “A Design Theory Approach to Building Strategic Net-based Customer Service Systems”, Decision Sciences Journal, Special Topic Forum: “Advancing Decision Making in Service Innovation”, vol. 40(3), pp. 403-430, Blackwell Publishing.
- Zulkernine, F., Martin, P., and Powley, W., 2008. Autonomic Management of Networked Web Services-based Processes, (Eds.) Denko, M., Yang., L., and Zhange, Y., Autonomic Computing and Networking, Springer, USA.
- Zulkernine, F., Martin, P., Craddock, C., and Wilson, K., 2008. A Policy-based Middleware for Web Services SLA Negotiation. Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS’08), IEEE CS Press, September 23-26, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Zulkernine , F., Martin, P., and Wilson, K., 2008. A Middleware Solution to Monitoring Composite Web Services-based Processes. Proceedings of 2008 IEEE Congress on Services (SERVICES‘08) Part II at the Workshop on Service Intelligence and Computing (SIC) of the IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS’08), IEEE CS Press, September 23-26, 2008, Beijing, China.
- Zulkernine, F., Powley, W., Tian, W., Martin, P., Xu, T., AND Zebedee, J., 2008. An Autonomic Web Services Environment using a Reflective and Database-Oriented Approach, Ubiquitous Computing and Communication: Special Issue on Autonomic Computing Systems and Applications.
- Wendy Powley, Patrick Martin and Paul Bird. DBMS Workload Control Using Throttling: Experimental Insights, Proceedings of CASCON 2008, Toronto 2008, pp. 1-13. (Awarded Best Paper at CASCON 2008).
- Mingyi Zhang, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley and Paul Bird. Using Economic Models to Allocate Resources in Database Management Systems, Proceedings of CASCON 2008, Toronto 2008.
- H. Abdulsalam, D.B. Skillicorn, and P. Martin. Classifying Evolving Data-Streams Using Dynamic Streaming Random Forests. In proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA'08), pages 643-651. Turin, Italy, September 2008.
- A. Kayem, S.G. Akl, and P. Martin, "On Replacing Cryptographic Keys in Hierarchical Key Management Systems", Journal of Computer Security, Vol. 16, Number 3, pp.289-309, 2008.
- Anne V.D.M. Kayem, Patrick Martin, Selim G. Akl, and Wendy Powley. "A Framework for Self-Protecting Cryptographic Key Management", In Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems, October 20-24, 2008, Venice, Italy, pp.191-200.
- Xu, Z., Martin, P., Powley, W., and Zulkernine,F. Reputation-Enhanced QoS-based Web Services Discovery, In Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on Web Services (ICWS'07), pp. 249-256, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, July 9-13, 2007.
- P. Martin, W. Powley, W. Tian, K. Wilson, J. Zebedee and Z. Xu. The WSDM of Autonomic Computing: Experiences in Implementing Autonomic Web Services. Proc of 2007 International Workshop on Software Engineering for Adaptive and Self-Managing Systems (SEAMS 2007), Minneapolis MN, May 2007, 7 pages.
- Baoning Niu, Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, Paul Bird, and Randy Horman. Adapting Mixed Workloads to Meet SLOs in Autonomic DBMSs, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Self-Managing Database Systems (SMDB 2007) in Conjunction with the 23rd International Conference on Data Engineering(ICDE 2007), April 15 - 20, 2007, Istanbul, Turkey.
- H. Abdulsalam D.B. Skillicorn, and P. Martin. Streaming Random Forests. The Eleventh International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS), Banff, Canada, September 2007, pp. 225-23.
- H. Abdulsalam, D.B. Skillicorn, and P. Martin. Mining data-streams. In P. Poncelet, F. Masseglia, and M. Tessiere, editors, Success and New Directions in Data Mining. pages 302 - 324. Idea Group Inc. (IGI), October 2007.
- Anne V.D.M. Kayem, Patrick Martin, and Selim G. Akl. Heuristics for Improving Cryptographic Key Assignment in a Hierarchy, Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications Workshops (AINAW'07), Niagara Falls, Canada, May 21-23, 2007.
- Anne V.D.M. Kayem, Patrick Martin, Selim G. Akl and Wendy Powley. A Self-Protective Key Management Framework. Fourth International Workshop on Engineering Autonomic Software Systems held in conjunction with CASCON 2007, October 23 - 24, 2007, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Zulkernine, F., and Martin, P., Conceptual Framework for a Comprehensive Service Management Middleware, In Proceedings of the 2nd International IEEE Workshop on Service Oriented Architectures in Converging Networked Environments (SOCNE'07) in conjunction with AINA 2007, Vol. 1, pp. 995-1000, Niagara Falls, Canada, May 21-23, 2007.
- Zulkernine, F., and Martin, P., 2006, Web Services Management: Towards Efficient Web Data Access, pp. 266-288, (Eds.) Vakali, A., and Pallis, G. Web Data Management Practices: Emerging Techniques and Technologies. Idea Group of Publishing, PA, USA.
- Powley, W., & Martin, P. (2006). A Reflective Database-Oriented Framework for Autonomic Managers. In Proceedings of International Conference on Autonomic Systems (ICAS’06),San Jose, CA, USA, July 16-19, 2006
- B. Niu, P. Martin, W. Powley, R. Horman, P. Bird. Workload Adaptation in Autonomic DBMSs. Proceedings of CASCON 2006, Toronto, 2006. (Awarded Best Paper at CASCON 2006).
- Harley Boughton, Pat Martin, Wendy Powley, and Randy Horman. Workload Class Importance Policy in Autonomic Database Management Systems. Seventh IEEE International Workshop on Policies for Distributed Systems and Networks, June 5-7, 2006, London, ON Canada, pp. 13-22.
- Patrick Martin, Wendy Powley, Min Zheng. Toward Autonomic DBMSs: A Self-Configuring Algorithm for DBMS Buffer Pools. Advanced Topics in Database Research, Volume 5. Ken Siau (Editor), Idea Group, 2006.
- P. Martin, W. Powley, X. Xu, W. Tian. Automated Configuration of Multiple Buffer Pools. The Computer Journal, Vol 49(4), 2006, pp. 487-499.
- Eric Karmouch, Patrick Martin, Hossam Hassanein, AmbiTalk: Enhancing Wireless Communication Services through the Automatic Adaptation of Mobile Communication, Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Computing, Networking and Communications (WiMob 2006), Montréal, Canada, June 19-21, 2006.
- W. Tian, F. Zulkernine, J. Zebedee, W. Powley and P. Martin. An Architecture for an Autonomic Web Services Environment. Proceedings of the Joint Workshop on Web Services and Model-Driven Enterprise Information Systems WSMDEIS (ICEIS 2005), May 2005, Miami, Fl., pp. 54-66.
- P. Martin, W. Powley, M. Zheng and K. Romanufa. Experimental Study of a Self-Tuning Algorithm for DBMS Buffer Pools. Journal of Database Management, Vol 16(2), April - June, 2005, pp. 1-20.
- Anne V.D.M. Kayem, Selim G. Akl, and Pat Martin, Independent Set Approach to Solving the Collaborative Attack Problem. In Proceedings of the 17th IASTED International Conference, Parallel and Distributed Computing and Systems, November 14-16, 2005, Phoenix, AZ, USA.